Re: Intel SE7210TP1-E giving memory errors

John R Pierce wrote:
On 12/05/11 12:17 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
Swapped the memory between DIMM 2A and DIMM 2B - still get fault in row 3, channel 0 - thus did not move with the RAM?? Next reboot I'll try swapping 1A and 1B

often an indication the problem is board/socket related rather than memory DIMM. unless its the other pair you didn't swap.

Also I have just discovered that both the OS drives sda and sdb have huge number of errors shown on the SMART records
- can this relate to the memory errors??
- I am just really surprised to have two drives show almost identical number of errors at the same time, yet no apparent data errors - Drives are ATA ST380013AS 74.53 GB

Just for safety I swapped /dev/sda with a new slightly larger drive did the sfdisk foo and added it to the md raid drives.
This brand new drive immediately shows high raw read er

hmmm. no, they shouldn't be remotely related. unless its something else, like a power supply with noisy or out of spec voltage(s).

80GB 3.5" SATA drives? aren't those kind of old? like, ancient ? looked up that PN, thats a Baracuda 7200.7 from circa 2003-2005.
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/sata/cuda7200_sata_pm.pdf

those are past their shelf date.

Yes Christmas 2004 - never a problem until one of the md raid sets dropped out today. However I put a brand new - never used 120G drive in and it too shows these errors - something doesn't seem right Getting too tired to think straight so I'll leave it limping along until tomorrow
Thanks for thoughts