Re: run without sendmail

Jerry Geis <geisj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   I'm running centos on a "limited" environment. Is it ok to turn off
> sendmail
> and run without it.
> Are there issues with doing that or is all Ok.

Mail delivery can still work with sendmail turned off. The daemon is
just there to receive mail.

This guy explains it better than I can:

http://www.deer-run.com/~hal/sysadmin/sendmail.html

There's no reason to turn the MTA on unless you're running a mail
server. Non-mail servers should just have a cron job flushing the
submission queue just in case, but the MTA itself doesn't need to run.

--
Spiro Harvey                           Knossos Networks Ltd
(04) 460-2531 : (021) 295-1923          www.knossos.net.nz