Re: Run commands automatically when bringing up/down network interfaces?

OK.

The next question becomes: how do we ensure that this happens for each defined IP, and that the ping is issued from a given IP address (routing/ etc.).

What we're hoping to accomplish is for the colo switch to get the correct ARP address for each defined IP address on the host.  In some cases, we'll have multiple NICs on the same subnet, in others, IP aliases on the same NIC.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Warren Young <warren@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/14/2011 1:26 PM, Edward Morbius wrote:
> I'm looking for a capability similar to Debian/Ubuntu's pre/post up/down
> network commands capability.

If you look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup, you'll see that it
will call /sbin/ifup-pre-local if it exists, before bringing up the
network interface.

That script also calls .../network-scripts/ifup-post after bringing up
the network interface, which in turn will call /sbin/ifup-local, if it
exists, as its last step.

Neither is interface-specific, but they get the interface name passed to
them, so if you needed to do something different for different
interfaces, you could.

Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist / Philologist / Robot Wrangler / Powerplant Operator
Krell Power Systems Unlimited