Re: 6.0 Media problems

ken wrote:
On 08/30/2011 10:10 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
hi Ken,

On 08/30/2011 03:04 PM, ken wrote:
<http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=15>  would be one
place.  But, given the way search engines might index pages, people
could bypass that page and land directly on the mirrors page,
<http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13>, and so miss
the warning altogether.
How about a Readme file ( please propose something ) that would go into the ISOS directory on all machines ? eg: http://centos.mirror.netelligent.ca/centos/6/isos/x86_64/

that might be a good place to have a url pointing at the release notes, perhaps a few workds on what the sha sums are and how people can verify them, and the various media formats ( livecd, dvd, cd, netinstall, torrents ).

If you want to put something together, we could add that in right away. And I'll add a note to the release process to make sure its updated, maintained into the future releases.

In addition, if it happens, per your other email in this thread, that
it's possible to offer another CentOS distribution which doesn't require
PAE, then we'd need a distinguishing name for those ISOs.
right, that would be a bit of a journey down the road. Step 1 would be to find a solution to the PAE-needed issue, then make sure there is some mechanism in place ( manual or otherwise ) to carry that work forward into the updates, finally come up with a delivery ( install ) mechanism. It should just be a case of an alternative installer with the works-with-pae-absent kernel.

- KB

Hi, KB,

Congratulations.  You parsed out my mixed up email.  I somehow replied
to one issue in the wrong email.  I shouldn't reply to email while
listening to news about hurricanes and floods and before I'm well into
my second cup of coffee.

As for the readme... or PRE-DOWNLOAD-README...

To burn this ISO to DVD, you need to use a DVD-RW drive and compatible
media.  Due to a difference in formatting, this ISO will not fit on a
DVD+ disk.
It may be a DVD-R - does not need to be a RW
In addition, CentOS 6.0 requires a PAE-capable CPU.  This distribution
will not run otherwise.  On Linux do "cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep ^flags" to
see if "pae" is mentioned there.  If not, use a different distribution.

See the CentOS wiki for more information.  <URL>

Others might have other language to include.

Do we have translators for users who prefer something non-English?

begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob
org:Team Torman Realty, LLC
adr:;;13019 Water Point Blvd;Windermere;FL;34786;USA
email;internet:rkampen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:407-876-4108
tel;fax:407-876-3591
tel;home:407-876-4854