Re: CentOS 6 kernel update and grub.conf...

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, John Doe wrote:

*snip*

I do *everything* in the chrooted post, so that I can just shutdown
after install and the server is ready to be plugged.
It used to work fine with 5.x...
Everything also seems to work fine for 6.x, except for grubby.
I caught a "Grubby fatal error : unable to find a suitable template".
Found many bug reports (some as old as 2004), but no real fix...
For now, I just add the entry to grub.conf in my script and it boots
fine on the new kernel.
I noticed that if I run the new-kernel-pkg after the reboot, it does not
complain anymore and the root in grub.conf is different:
  The one added by new-kernel-pkg (after a reboot):
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 ro root=LABEL=/
  The one I added (that works too):
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 ro root=UUID=abd50638...
  Original:
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 ro root=UUID=abd50638...

My system is obviously set up differently than yours, and my installtion methods are different as well.

Whenever there's a kernel update on my system, the new kernel packages are installed, and the grub.conf file does not get updated. Which is THE WAY I want it to be. I never did like the way grub.conf got updated behind my back, so to speak, after a kernel update.

Now I don't need to worry about a new kernel busting anything, as the previous working kernel will be booted, even after a kernel update.

It's only 3 lines in grub.conf to add for a kernel update- so it's not a problem at all.

I also keep the original grub.conf entry for the default kernel of the installation DVD disk. That way if I ever need to do a fresh installation from DVD using a kickstart file, I already have that entry in my own custom grub.conf file.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net