Re: [OT] would any of you recommend a ticketing system?

I'd recommend Jira:

http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/

We use it primarily for software projects and bug tracking, but it can easily be configured as a helpdesk application, and still be used for other things.  Very configurable, easy to setup and maintain and they have reduced pricing for non-profits and government institutions.  I'm not sure about HR applications, though.