Re: Problem with net-install

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:37 AM, david <david@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Folks

I tried the net-install, because my computer has no DVD, only a CD.
The system has a USB connected keyboard, and it works just fine
accessing the built-in BIOS.

However, when I booted the netinstall CD, the initial screen which
asks for the type of installation did not respond to the keyboard.  I
was therefore forced to wait the 30-seconds for the timeout, at which
point the install screen showed up and the keyboard worked.

I fear that the net-install image may not support USB keyboards,
which if so, is unfortunate.

The alternate of burning multiple CDs (as I've done with earlier
versions) appears unavailable in CENTOS 6.

Furthermore, I was never given the choice of using a GUI or text
install; I guess the old display device isn't supported in the
install system.  Not being given any choices of packages during the
install (a fact noted in the release notes) resulted, however, a
system where a lot of the expected utility programs weren't there.:
  a)  "yum" worked
  b)  No SSH client appeared to exist, nor did YUM know about it.
  c)  Several useful utilities were not there, so they had to be
installed via yum.

you need > 652MB of ram for the GUI install: http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.0#head-710e17fe8ed8c98a1fe4faee4e11e2135df09fff

As a result, the process of bringing this system to a usable state
consisted of:
  1)  Burn net-install CD
  2)  Answer the few questions.
  3)  For the net-install site, use
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.0/os/i386
  4)  When it boots, use yum:
      yum install ftp perl unzip
  5)

COMMENT:  One of the nice properties of Linux has been that it can be
installed and run on "old" hardware.  I wonder if this feature is going away.

David