Installing OS on Flash Drive on Server

Hi All,
On my gateway server I'm Installing CentOS on a flashdrive. is that a bad idea? the server keep hang, I can ping the server from the LAN and from the internet, the internet connection from LAN to internet is OK but another service is down, ssh, VPN (PPTPD) and another service. Even the console is unresponsive so I have to reset the server. Last time when I still can do SSH to server the / drive is mounted read only, when I try to remount rw it said error write protected but the flash drive itself have no write protection. I'm wondering is using Flashdrive on server OS is a bad idea? anyone have similar experience? thank you.
regards,

--
-----
Muhammad Panji