Re: SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

On Tue, 24 May 2011, Kevin K wrote:

From: Kevin K <kevink1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

On May 24, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

But don't you think that a SSD, or rather Solid State Drive, would
still be seen as a different type of drive than a SATA drive, even
though they share the same type of bus & connector + power cable?

I know you get some USB type SSD's, but people still refer to them as
SSD drives, and not USB drives

Depends on what level you are looking. Generically, it is a sequence of blocks, just like a rotating hard drive appears. Proper ID commands can find out more detailed information on it.

Some computers, like the Macbook Air, have SSD but it is NOT SATA. It is plugged into an expansion slot. I have also seen other SSDs that plug into PCI Express slots.

The OWC drive I'm looking at is a 2.5" SSD drive with SATA II 3.0 Gb/s interface. It can also be used with a SATA -> IDE/ATA adaptor, that would make it appear to the OS as a P-ATA EIDE drive.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Extreme_Pro/Legacy_Edition

"Add a technological supercharger to your existing Mac or PC with the OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro Legacy Edition SSD. Thanks to the special PATA adapter included , itʼs the fastest, most reliable IDE/ATA mechanism available to breathe lightning fast performance into that trusty machine and extend its usefulness.

Includes IDE/ATA adapter for use in 3.5" IDE/ATA desktop drive bays. With PATA adapter removed, SATA I (1.5Gb/s) and SATA II (3.0Gb/s) interface supported, SATA 2.6 Compliant."

So I could use this in a desktop as an EIDE ATA 133Mbs drive with the PATA adaptor, or as a SATA II desktop drive, or in a laptop as a SATA drive.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that it's a MLC SSD. I'd much rather find a SLC drive, due to the x10 reliability factor.

The SATA -> EIDE drive adaptors are on ebay cheap.

I think this is a 2-way adapter; SATA -> PATA or vice versa.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320645765177&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

The other option is to throw in a PCI(e) SATA controller card, and run the SSD as a native SATA II drive in a legacy IDE desktop.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net