[Centos] Centos 4 x86-64 hangs at boot

Dear All

I've just installed Centos 4.0 on a Fujitsu Amilo 1630 laptop (Athlon 64
3700+ 1GB RAM),

I ran Centos 3.4 32 bit on it fine, so I decided to wipe it and load
centos 4.0 from scratch.

The install went fine, no problems at all, but when it comes to boot
centos it hangs at the point
Press "I" for interactive startup...
udev...
"initializing hardware  .... audio"

Its a hard freeze, cntrl-alt-del won't get you out of it, and the only
way out is to power down, (a few seconds after this message the keyboard
locks up too.)

Furthermore if I try and boot in single user mode it does the same
thing, trying rescue mode from the DVD freezes as well.

I can't turn off the audio in the BIOS on this laptop

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Pete
ps: happy easter to you all....