Re: Some relevant information

Sam Trenholme wrote:
* As mentioned before, Scientific Linux 6.0 is out.  What hasn't been
mentioned here is that while SL 5.6 hasn't come out, 5.6 security
updates are being backported to SL 5.5.  Ditto with SL 4 (no 4.9 but
security patches look current)

And we try very hard not to release things until they pass our QA testing.

Let me make something clear: I have been a CentOS user since 2006.  I
really, really appreciate all of the contributions the CentOS team has
made--contributions which have been made without being properly
compensated for the time and effort made.

We are still finding and correcting issues with the 5.6 things that we
have built (things not properly linking when compared to upstream, etc).

As I mentioned before, the CentOS team owes me nothing.  If the CentOS
team decides tomorrow that deathmatching Nexuiz (errr, Xonotic,
because how dare anyone try making money with their open-source
project) is more fun than making security updates and getting 5.6 or 6
out the door, enjoy yourselves!  CentOS does not owe me a single
release more or even a single security update.

For me, I would rather have timely releases and security updates than
guaranteed binary compatibility.  My appeal of a RHEL clone is that I
will be able to use a RHEL 5 clone until 2014 (RHEL 6 clone until
2017) and have security issues fixed.
I think I'm seeing a miss-understanding here - please correct me if I'm wrong. Binary Compatibility means that rpms made for RHEL will "just work" on CentOS. If binary compatibility is dropped in favor of just getting a patch out the door, then sooner or later an rpm or module that used to work will fail and trying to track down the problem and resolve it will be made more difficult as the provider of the rpm has two (or more) possible build environments and dependencies to deal with.
Be careful what you wish for!!
Anyway, thank you for the great work, and it has been a pleasure using
CentOS for so many years!

- Sam
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob
org:Team Torman Realty, LLC
adr:;;13019 Water Point Blvd;Windermere;FL;34786;USA
email;internet:rkampen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:407-876-4108
tel;fax:407-876-3591
tel;home:407-876-4854