[Centos] yum error: write failed

dan1 wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Did someone already see the following errors doing a 'yum update' on
> CentOS 4 ?
>
> rpmdb: write: 0xb5fb610c, 4096: Read-only file system
> rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/Packages: write failed for page 11801
> If I do the same on another computer with CentOS 4 this doesn't happen.
> I reinstalled everything from scratch and tried again, but the same
> happened.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

Looks like / or /var (depending on your setup) is mounted read-only on
your system.  I believe that root is initally mounted as read-only and
then remounted as read-write during boot, perhaps something is going
wrong during the remount.

Did you have a disk crash or something strange happen recently?  Is the
hard drive ok?  You might want to try some of the utilities contained in
the ultimate boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com) to check your disk
for errors.

In short, yum is failing because it cannot write its data to /var.  If
your / or /var partition is mounted read-only, I'd be surprised if this
is the ONLY error you were seeing.

Sincerely,

Shawn M. Jones