Re: Air Conditioning - ON!

On Feb 22, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Only joking. I take your point, but the critical fixes being held up for a dot
release isn't really very Enterprise friendly either. I think it fair to say
that CentOS is not suitable for the enterprise unless the servers are
non-public, on a secure network and the risk of internal hacking is low. That is
just an unfortunate nature of a rebuild project but it does make the release
time a sensitive matter.

Karanbir tweeted during FOSDEM that the Belgian police use CentOS. As everyone
who is paying attention knows that any exploit that RedHat has released an
updated package for post is 5.6 is sat waiting to be exploited on those police
servers because it won't make the CentOS repositories until 5.6 is out. I wonder
if the Belgian police know that.

So.... if anybody can be bothered to check the errata from upstream and want to
do some mischief.....fill your boots...

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url="">

The best thing CentOS gives you is choice.

If your critical machines need updates in a more timely manner, then put RHEL on them. For those that don't put CentOS on them and save $$$.

Free is free and it comes free of warranty or guarantee or any other tee.

-Ross