[Centos] Re: centos] warning: fork bomb

R P Herrold wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, str tux wrote:
>
>> I tried to run this:
>>
>> :(){ :&:;};:
>>
>> as a non-root user in my CentOS4
>>
>> and it bring down my box to its knees.
>

> It looks like a longstanding stupid local user geek trick -- where is
> the news?  A talented local user is a BOFH's worst nightmare and
> favorite victim.

And don't forget you can ulimit a user. And yes, a real local user is a
real pain in the ass if you don't trust him/her.  Not to mention the
"users" whom runs the commands. Just look at how many times a webserver
gain shell and runs scripts etc. after a bug just like the phpBB ones.
SELinux helps either way.
bye,
Ago