Re: CentOS 5 on a Thinkpad T60 laptop

IMHO, if you are intending to install an O/S, and will need to have an Internet connection, you should ALWAYS have a thumb drive and another computer with a confirmed Internet connection before starting. The only exception to this rule is when installing OSX on a Mac - because they control the hardware and the software, you're almost always good to go out of the gate.

Windows is like this, Linux/BSD/etc is the same way.

Get a cup of coffee at a cybercafe if you need to for the 'net access!

That said, I've had little trouble with the Intel Wireless 2100 in the past on a Dell Inspiron 600m. Do a google search for "ipw2100", various RPM options show on the first page for me.

Good luck!

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:08:05 pm Robert Heller wrote:

> > > Isn't being supported "out of the box" and having to download something

> > > else a contradiction in terms? Not to mention a catch-22 when your

> > > usual connection to download is over wireless...

> > So tell that to Red Hat.

> > If it ain't in RHEL, it ain't in CentOS. Les, surely you know that by

> > now.

> Also *wireless* NICs almost always need some sort of firmware thing in

> /lib/firmware (or whereever). This is usually separate from any

> driver(s) that might be needed. Wired NICs don't need this firmware

> thing.

> In my case my usual connection is not wireless anyway, or at least it

> is not my only option -- the laptop does have a wired NIC, which also

> works *out of the box* and is also an Intel NIC (Intel Corporation

> 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) (rev 03)). Oh, and it also

> has USB ports, which would be another option.

> (And *I* would avoid any laptop that *only* had a Wireless NIC.)

believed to be clean.