Re: How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5?

James Pearson wrote:
JohnS wrote:
On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 19:43 +0000, James Pearson wrote:

I assume something does probe some how - which is what I trying to work out. i.e. what exactly does the probe and where in the startup sequence is this done?
See dmesg and check when it finds your pci card and what it indicates is loaded for this.
I told you already...the kernel calls insmod first...then "init_moule"
then a "another sub r gets called to an actual init_module r

That is how the kernel loads a module when insmod is run - but what tells the system to load the sound modules at system start-up?

Why not explain exactly your problem?  Theres a reason you need to know
and y?

I have a system with 2 sound 'cards', one on the motherboard and one on a PCI-E card. Both cards use the Intel HDA chipset (snd-hda-intel.ko driver). When the on-board card has been disabled via a jumper, none of the sound modules get loaded at system start-up. I can manually load the snd-hda-intel module and the PCI-E card is found.

Therefore, I would like to find out why the PCI-E card is not found and the driver not loaded at system start-up. Hence my original question, if anyone knows at what point in the start up procedure the system loads the sound modules.

Thanks

James Pearson
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob
org:Team Torman Realty, LLC
adr:;;13019 Water Point Blvd;Windermere;FL;34786;USA
email;internet:rkampen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:407-876-4108
tel;fax:407-876-3591
tel;home:407-876-4854