Re: How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5?

James Pearson wrote:
m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
James Pearson wrote:

I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under /etc/rc.d/

CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
equivalent in CentOS 5

Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?
Have you tried system-config-soundcard?

I have, but that wasn't the question :-)

Something has to load the sound kernel modules at system start up - and I would like to find out what does this and at what stage of the system start up process this happens.
cannot answer all your question but found that sometime around 5.3 -> 5.4 that the order of sound modules loading changed. I found that one needed to edit modprobe.conf and add index=0 or index=1 as needed to get the modules loading correctly and thus allowing related software to find them in the correct place.
HTH
James Pearson
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob
org:Team Torman Realty, LLC
adr:;;13019 Water Point Blvd;Windermere;FL;34786;USA
email;internet:rkampen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:407-876-4108
tel;fax:407-876-3591
tel;home:407-876-4854