Re: CentOS 4.8

Jerry,

                The Centos install first asks for an administrative password and then as a part of the final configuration script, asks you to create a non-priv account. You do have a root acct, and you did declare a password. If you forgot what you might have used then boot into single user mode and change the root pwd.

-David

From: centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Y. K. Liu
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:43 PM
To: centos@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: CentOS 4.8

Hi,

I installed CentOS 4.8 (not CentOS 5) on VMware Fusion using an ISO file I downloaded. During the installation, it asked me to enter a user name and its password. I tried to enter root for the user name, but it would not let me do that. So I had to enter a non-root user name.

So I did not have the root user name and password when the installation completed. I only had a non-privileged user name, and could not do any sudo work. How can I solve this problem?

I noticed that CentOS 5 (not the 4.8 I needed to install) asking to enter the password for root during the installation. But I need to install CentOS 4.8, not 5.

Thank you.
Jerry