Re: Converting to maildir

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 09:56 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
On 1/4/2011 8:14 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Many people care about storage format.
And they are misguided in doing so.  Details of message storage is an
internal [server's] problem.
So how do you suggest solving that problem when it is in fact a problem?

You're missing the point of my objection.

That the server is slow or difficult to manage [which includes backup]
is the issue - not that it uses MBOX [regardless of that its use of MBOX
is the root of the *server's* issue].

Thinking of it in terms of messages-storage-format is misguided [I only
mention it because I see the MBOX/MH/Maildir/Maildir++/etc... debate
frequently].  This represents, IMO, a flawed approach to the problem.

Migration to a new solutions [an IMAP server] that provides better
performance / management is the fix.  Incidently, it will almost
certainly not use MBOX.

If you are 'manually' crawling around in your message-store [the *only*
case where you'd actually care much about storage format] indicates
something else it wrong [as well].
At risk of confusing the debate - modern email is now largely HTML with lots of embedded graphics (just love all those base64 encoded bits clogging up the mbox) I made the shift from mbox to maildir about three years ago - my reasoning, let the OS file system worry about where and how to store the stuff - let the mail app worry about what emails I have and how to index. Thus postfix, dovecot (imap only) and related spam tools seem to work fine for my small business. I'm sure the problems only get more involved if one has to support 1,000's of users. Why is it that outlook and thunderbird use mbox type storage for their local storage?? Certainly a pain to manage in today's bloated email world. We haven't seen the end of this problem - it is growing day by day.........really needs some creative solutions before we all drown in the data deluge. Don't forget we also need to be able to search the last x days, weeks, years email's for something?
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob
org:Keller Williams Classic Realty
adr:;;13019 Water Point Blvd;Windermere;FL;34786;USA
email;internet:rkampen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:407-876-4108
tel;fax:407-876-3591
tel;home:407-876-4854