Re: E1000 eth1 link flakiness - causes??

On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 18:01 -0500, m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 05:22:38PM -0500, E Westphal wrote:
>> Have  you experienced this? What's going on when this occurs? What do I
>> need to do to keep it from occurring? Please advise. Thanks.
>
> could be a bad network switch. or a bad cable on that NIC.
<snip>
I've got a bad feeling about this. You say this is eth1 - is eth0 in use?
Is it doing similar things? We had a similar problem, and the NIC itself
finally died. I think I managed to make it work a bit better for a few
months by putting wooden wedges from the hardware store under the box, to
let more air around to keep it cooler.

        mark

Yea - eth0 works fine all the time. It's only eth1 that acts up. The last responder who said to look at a faulty solder joint has probably got it right. I've got a bud who is a gosh darn good EE and amateur radio builder - another one of us 'young' fellows who started out when 'core memory' was delivered by truck. Thanks all.

Ed