Re: best way to start and shutdown programs in CentOS?

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It may be tempting to use the rc.local, but that's the quick and dirty
way and not good for the long-term sustainability and management of a
system.  There's no way to individually control any service running
from there, and no way to stop it on shutdown.

Yeah, thank you.  I talked with the person who wrote the Java program, and he essentially said the same thing.

I'm looking through his suggestions now, and he suggested a shutdown script. I others who have examples with pid.txt and "dirname $0".  Not sure what these are and am googling them now.