Re: Postfix - message queue filling with Host or name not found - try again

Ben McGinnes wrote:
On 17/11/10 7:26 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
Examining the postfix queue with postqueue -p:  I see many
(Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
name=bdgiedjhea.po6e4ina.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)
                                         Jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My question - why does this stay in the message queue - why not dumped
back with message undeliverable or dropped?

What is the complete output of postqueue -p?  What is the From address
and, more to the point, is it MAILER-DAEMON?
Yes it is
Agreed, however this opens a potential DoS attack vector - I'm
trying to determine why my postfix even has these requests present
as I'm not initiating the emails (as far as I know) and I do not
forward emails for any other domains.
I feel like I'm missing something......confused maybe

It could be backscatter.

Run postqueue -p and pick one of the messages, it shouldn't matter
which.  Then run:

postcat -q $MSGID | less

Where $MSGID is one of the messages in the queue.  That will show you
the message and headers.  I'd be willing to bet it's your server
trying to send a rejection/spam detection to a server.

Correct - thanks for the pointers on how to track it down - so now my question is how do I set things up to simply try this once and then drop it, rather than queue it up for the next five days with all the attendant dns errors. This is definitely at the boundaries of my mail setup experience - for some reason the other two mail servers I run do not seem to get the same level of spam and thus I seldom notice this.
Regards,
Ben

begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob
email;internet:rkampen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:407-876-4108 x6344
tel;fax:407-876-3591
tel;home:407-876-4854
tel;cell:407-341-3815
note:Licensed REALTOR, CPM Candidate, and Licensed Community Association Manager.
version:2.1
end:vcard