[Centos] Usermin for Centos 4.0?

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Matt Bottrell wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 03:50:54 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers <dag@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Ed Clarke wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have an RPM for usermin that works with Centos 4.0?  I got
> > > the webmin RPM from the DAG repository but usermin isn't there and the
> > > "standard" RPM from sourceforge doesn't install.
> >
> > I'm interested to add it though :)
>
> Why not grab the SPEC from SourceForge....
> Grab the tar.gz and build it?
>
> Refer to other usermin.src.rpms for details.  ;)

Because if it's similar to webmin, the official SPEC files are horrible.
On installation they move around files that are not part of the RPM and on
uninstallation they remove those files instead of letting RPM take care of
everything. (summary: they run an installer tool in %post and remove
things they know about in %postun)

That's why there's also a big incompatibility between my package (that
does it right) and the official package (that I tell people never to use).
I've been in contact with the webmin people and they agree, but haven't
fixed it. (Because it is very hard to fix at this point)

The Webmin installation process (and I expect the Usermin installation to
be no better) are simply not designed for packaging. If you need more
details, take the official SPEC and my SPEC and simply compare :)

Kind regards,
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --