Re: Pptp vpn server

On 04/11/2010 13:31, Rob Kampen wrote:

I've been watching this thread and offer the following observation.
some years ago when working in the corporate world - most internet connections were still via modem - I used to connect via VPN to the corporate network from remote offices. Even though I was connected via ethernet to the local office, the VPN connection once established, became my only route. i.e. the local network appeared to be disconnected and the laptop (or PC) could only see and connect to the corporate IP address ranges that had been established via the VPN software - this also used one time password keys.
Thus security was complete other than the ability to get files from the corporate network onto the local PC - although difficult and cumbersome.
Once the VPN was disconnected the local network was once again working.
This was on Windoze clients to linux and other corporate servers.
Wondering if this kind of setup is possible with any of the mentioned VPN products?
Tks Rob
_
Rob,

This is called split-tunnel (or in the case that you talk about non-split tunnel) policy.
Many IPsec clients can be configured by policy to avoid split-tunnelling. The Windows PPTP client is configured like this by defaults, but it is possible to unconfigure it as a user.
Proprietary (e.g. Cisco VPN) allow configuration of the client split-tunnel (or not), by the VPN server. I don't know whether OpenVPN has this functionality, it ultimately depends on the client to do the split-tunneling, not the server (but the server could verify the client, and enforce split-tunneling).

Thanks

Giles