Re: network interface question

On 15/10/2010 10:36, John Doe wrote:
From: Paras pradhan <pradhanparas@xxxxxxxxx>

I have eight nics and its getting difficult to me which MAC  id
represents which physical port. Any way to find  this?
Unless you are 100% sure the nics detection follow a sequential order that
matches the nics physical ports order, I think you will have to test them one at
a time...

JD

Not sure whether this is true for all operating systems, but in many systems I have come across the following ordering convention:

* Onboard NIC's get listed first, e.g. eth0, eth1.
* First PCI bus gets listsed next, starting at slot 1... e.g. eth1, eth2
* If there are multiple interfaces per card then they are ordered in increasing MAC address value.