[Centos] Installing CentOS-4 in VMWare Workstation 4.5.2

Charles Lee wrote:

>>From: "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: Re: [Centos] Installing CentOS-4 in VMWare Workstation 4.5.2
>>

>>I hate to say this, but so far WinXP handles the
>>HyperThreading of my P4
>>better than I've found linux smp kernels to do. I haven't had
>>the chance
>>to try the 2.6 kernel in CentOS yet, but there it is.
>>

>So what exactly does "handles the HyperThreading of my P4 better than I've
>found linux smp kernels to do" mean?
>
>The gains brought by HyperThreading for most workloads are so marginal that
>I'd suggest switching off in the BIOS if you're using a 2.4 based kernel.

Well, when I had a process that ate a bunch of CPU on my P4 under the
2.4 kernel in HT mode, sometimes I'd get a kernel panic or other crash
in RHEL 3.  For instance, if I was trying to run VMWare in smp mode
(running a Windows guest system on the RHEL 3 host system), sometimes
the vm would crash, twice the whole system died.  If I ran the VMWare in
uni-processor kernel, it would run fine though it would eat resources.

I haven't had that happen in XP yet, when running the RHEL/CentOS guest
operating systems on the XP host OS.  I haven't had time to try it on
CentOS 4 as the host OS yet to see how the 2.6 kernel handles the load.

Ben