Re: looking for cool, post-install things to do on a centos 5.5 system

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 11:47, <m.roth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ah, no. I wrote 30 scripts around '91-'92 to take datafiles from 30
sources and reformat them, to feed to the C program I'd written with
embedded sql, in place of the d/b's sqlloader (*bleah*). Then, 11 years
ago, I wrote a validation program for data that was being loaded by
another program that I didn't want to change; the data had been exported
from ArcInfo, and had to go into our Oracle d/b.

Really simple to do in awk - just so much of it, and no, perl would have
offered no improved/shorter way to do it, and yes, I do know perl - in
'04, for example, I rewrote a call routing and billing system from perl
(written by my then-manager, who'd never studied programming, can you say
spaghetti?) into reasonable perl. Actually, I just wrote a scraper in
perl, using HTML::Parser.  Anyway, the point of that was to demonstrate
that I know both, and awk is better, IMO, for some jobs.

        mark

It's all about picking the right tool for the job. Python is good for some things, perl for others, awk for still different things...
It is the beauty of Linux...
John
--
 John Kennedy