[Centos] CentOS 4 install problem

I am attempting to install CentOS 4 on a Compaq D500 machine with
512 Mb RAm and an 80Gb HDD.  I configure the install options so
that the lv containing / has 16Gb.  However, the install
consistently fails on the second CD with the message:

Error Installing package X. This can indicate media failure, lack
of disk space, and/or hardware problems.  This is a fatal error and
your install will be aborted.  Please verify your media and try
your install again. Press the OK button to reboot your system.

X varies with each trial.

I have run across this error three consecutive times.  I checked
the MD5 sums on the downloaded ISOs and further verified the four
CD images during the install process.  Everything checked out.  I
have also created a new media for the 2of4 ISO and attempted an
install with this with the same result as with the original.  I am
able to install a minimal system from the first CD so it appears
that hardware is not the issue.  The media checks out and I cannot
see how 16Gb is too small as even a complete install expects less
than 7Gb total. So, I am at a loss to explain this.

I will work around this situation by upgrading the minimal system
with the packages I need but it is not very convenient. I am
reporting this on the off chance that I have stumbled over
something that someone else will encounter.

Regards,
Jim

--
     *** e-mail is not a secure channel ***