Re: Mitel only supported VMware virtualization platform for some CentOS servers based products

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Jean-Marc Liger
<jean-marc.liger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finaly find enough legal stuff, from the French government
> recommandations, to qualify our CentOS KVM/libvirt as a platform we can use.
>
> By the way the legal advisory of KVM is not as the save level as its
> technical quality :
>

> Le 11/07/2018 à 18:07, Jean-Marc Liger a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> Some Mitel products, which are CentOS 6.x or 7.x servers based with some
> telephony services added, are only supported on VMware virtualisation
> platform, even all if theses CentOS guests are certified on last
> CentOS/Redhat Virtualization or Microsoft Hyper V platforms.
>
> So, at he moment we have three bad choices :
> - Migrate part of our virtualization services from KVM/libvirt to VMware ;
> - Install Mitel concerned product on a physical server ;
> - Stay on KVM/libvirt and lose Mitel support for this product.
>
> I'm seeking for technical/legal arguments which could help us to stay on
> KVM/libvirt without losing Mitel support.
>
> Regards,

Turn it around, maybe? Call Mitel and explain that you've benefited
profoundly from the KVM virtualization stack, which is open source
much as RHEL and CentOS are? In fact, if you can invest in some
license, get RHEL licensed systems and get Red Hat involved. I've been
at some virtualization evaluation meetings in my time, and it's
important to bring compelling benefits to one virtualization toolkit
or another, not merely the licensing cost.

One of the issues for telephony applications is latency: another is
the consistency of latency, that spotty phase delays in processing can
seriously confuse audio signals. That's.... actually quite tricky to
ensure in a virtualized environment, especially if you're not generous
in the resources allocated for each VM. Performance can get *very* odd
as you start saturating your hypervisors' networks or RAM or CPU
resources. So I'm not personally shocked that a certification might
exist only for the one technology that the testing or certification
had available. It's exactly what I'd want to talk to the testing group
about.