Re: Difference between qemu-kvm-ev and qemu-kvm-ma?

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 2:19 AM, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I see with the introduction of CentOS 7.5 there's a new qemu-kvm-ma package on ppc64le (which is actually newer than qemu-kvm-ev currently). Does anyone know what the difference is between these two packages? We currently use qemu-kvm-ev and we've run into this bug [1] which got me wondering if we should be switching to that package on ppc64le.

qemu-kvm-ma is the non-x86_64 counterpart for qemu-kvm, so it is present in CentOS
and have some features disabled. Upgrade path is qemu-kvm -> qemu-kvm-ma (as we
provided some packages on non-x86_64 archs) -> qemu-kvm-ev (in case you enable CentOS Virt SIG QEMU repo).
Opposite way is not supported and will probably break.

Please wait a few days, libguestfs package will be updated fixing the bug you've hit around next week.

Sadly, the new qemu-kvm-ev we prepared for CentOS 7.5 didn't get released (https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=14764) but the new build is ready.

​Thanks for the clarification. So it looks like I should wait until the new qemu-kvm-e​v is pushed out since that's what I'm currently using? What's really the primary difference between qemu-kvm-ev and qemu-kmv-ma on ppc64le at this point? Also, I'm curious what the "ma" stands for :)

Cheers-

--
Lance Albertson
Director