Re: kernel-plus PXE virt-install with Xen?

On 10/10/2017 01:46 PM, PJ Welsh wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to replace the vmlinuz and initrd.img from
> CentOS 7.4 with "fixed" kernel-plus versions in order create CentOS 7.4
> VM's. So far I'm stuck booting via 7.3 install, adding new kernel-plus
> and upgrading to 7.4. I've not found any complete Google answers and was
> looking for help making sure I choose the correct approach.
>
> I've tried to build an initrd.img from a kernel-plus booting system via
> "mkinitrd -f -v /boot/initrd.img $(uname -r)", but the file size is less
> than half the one from CentOS 7.4 (17MB -vs- 47MB). I'm not even sure I
> can just replace those files yet either.
>
> Any help going the correct path?

I have not had time to do this yet .. BUT .. you can edit the lorax
template to to use kernel-plus instead of kernel (and new repodata)..
then rerun lorax to get a bootable tree and boot.iso

You would then need a tree with the new kernel-plus* packages instead of
the kernel-* packages

This bug kind of explains the process:

https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=13763

(look for lorax in the bug)

I do want to create a process and tree somewhere for this (likely on
buildlogs.centos.org).  Sometime soon after I finish the i386 distro
release (hopefully that is this week .. next week for some kind of
bootable x86_64 Xen PV solution).

The good news is, the 7.5 RHEL kernel Source RPMs should have Kevin's
patch in it and it should work as released on Xen PV.