Re: Upstream libvirt releases for Virt-SIG

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 4:35 AM, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2016, at 4:18 PM, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Jiri Denemark <jdenemar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I talked to our oVirt developers who use CentOS for upstream
> development. And that's what makes their lives hard because it takes a
> long time before they can start using new features of libvirt. The
> latest released CentOS version is 7.2 with libvirt 1.2.17, which is
> pretty old. But even when CentOS 7.3 with libvirt 2.0.0 gets released,
> it will already be old since libvirt 2.5.0 is just about to be released
> upstream.
>
> So to help them, I'd like to start building upstream releases of libvirt
> for Virt-SIG. As one of the core libvirt developers and a maintainer of
> libvirt in RHEL I think I should be qualified enough to do so :-) The
> goal is to take every upstream release of libvirt soon after it's been
> released and rebase the current CentOS package on top of it.
>
> If it sounds good to you, what should I do to get started?
>
> Sounds good to me, welcome aboard! My only concern is that libvirt is built also for xen so we need to ensure we don't break anything there.
> +1 for me to have Jiri added to Virt SIG

I would be really glad to have a shared libvirt between oVirt and Xen projects.  Are you planning on only building the most recent release, or on maintaining some older releases for some period of time?

 -George

Jiri welcome aboard :-)
Please add yourself and your project to https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Virtualization
To get more info about the build system please read: https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CommunityBuildSystem
CentOS provides a jenkins instance running at https://ci.centos.org/ for testing your builds.
Feel free ask here if you have any question.

--
Sandro Bonazzola
See how it works at redhat.com