Re: Using STP in kvm bridges

On 09/16/2015 03:02 PM, C.L. Martinez wrote:
  What advantages and disadvantages have??  If I will want to install
some kvm guests that use multicast address for certain services, is it
recommended to enable STP?
STP has nothing to do with multicast as it's an Ethernet protocol.
It's developed to provide loop-free redundancy links to Ethernet-based networks.

I can't imagine any legitimate use of STP within virtualized environment except when BOTH a) you don't trust the person who manages VM's (like in VPS providing) AND b) you provide more then one network interface to the virtual machine.

Otherwise STP can be used to prevent traffic storm because of malicious bridging of vNIC's inside VM.

Best regards,
	Dmitry Mikhailov