Re: Windows 10 tech preview build 10130

On 06/29/2015 01:27 PM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone managed to install Windows 10 tech preview build 10130 as a
KVM on a CentOS 6 host? I'm having problems that I haven't been able to
get past.

I can get the CD to boot and the install process to begin, but Windows
keeps complaining about missing drivers. I've unsuccessfully tried the
VirtIO ISOs from the Fedora project.  The images I tried were:

virtio-win-0.1-100.iso
virtio-win-0.1.105.iso
virtio-win-0.1.96.iso

I have two IDE CD-ROMs attached which appears to be working fine
(otherwise the installer wouldn't start and I wouldn't be able to
traverse the VirtIO ISO). The NIC was an e1000, but I changed it to
rtl8139. I've changed the HD from IDE, to Virtio iscsi to Virtio disk
and none of that has seemed to help.

I'd appreciate some pointers/tips.

Regards,

Ranbir

Hi Ranbir,

I've installed it on a KVM guest on a CentOS 7 host.

I haven't switched to VirtIO drivers yet except for the graphics (spice/QXL), so that I could resize the screen, etc.

I've always had more success using the drivers obtained from running the spice guest tools vs. the virtio-win stuff. I use:

http://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-guest-tools/spice-guest-tools-0.100.exe

I did have problems with blue screens at boot (to even get the installation going) until I changed the CPU type to "kvm64"

-Greg