Re: performance differences between kvm/xen

Hi guys,

Sorry by late reading this thread. I had already compared Xen Source with KVM (and btw, VMware Server 2) in CentOS 5.2 days (2008) for a college job. At this time Xen have more performance than the others, but I'd tested in my desktop: A Core 2 Duo E6420 with 3GB Ram. All the papers I'd used is available in brazilian portuguese, if anyone is interesed I would send. But *IMHO* isn't interesting translating the job to english because, as I said, I did it in CentOS 5.2 (2008) and a *LOT* things has changed in all this hypervisors.

Anyway, here in my job I have two IBMs x3400 (two Xeon 5504 sockets with 8GB Ram and 2 x 160GB [SAS? SATA? I really don't know]) available, and they works perfect with Xen and KVM (both worked as Dom0 before, so we replaced them for rack mounted machines). I really like x86 virtualization, so I can test the hypervisors again in this real servers and write about it in my free time, but I need a metodology to follow up and do a benchmark. (I'm not good in performance metter). If someone else is interesed in do it with me, will be really fun.

2010/10/19 Jerry Franz <jfranz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 On 10/19/2010 03:47 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 10/19/2010 09:41 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>>
>> It's because of the x86_64 architecture, afaik.
>>
>> There was some good technical explananation about it,
>> but I can't remember the url now.
> In that case I'll have to call this advice extremely bogus and you probably
> should refrain from passing it on. The only way I can see this being true
> is some weird corner case.
There appear to be some interactions with the Intel VT-d processor features.

http://www.xen.org/files/xensummit_intel09/xensummit2009_IOVirtPerf.pdf

If I understand that paper correctly, HVM+VT-d outperforms PV by quite a
lot (if you have VT-d support on your system).

--
Benjamin Franz

Lucas Timm, Goiânia/GO.
http://timmerman.wordpress.com