Re: XEN and RH 6

Fedora 12 doesnt come with Xen and from what I heard RHEL 6 will be based on F12. In the F12 release notes it states that they might port Xen in 2.6.33.
"The kernel package in Fedora 12 supports booting as a guest domU, but will not function as a dom0 until such support is provided upstream. Work is ongoing and hopes are high that support will be included in kernel 2.6.33 and Fedora 13."
I will start testing kvm+virtio+ovirt for my 5-6 virtual machines to migrate from xen. It seems that its the way to go for future deployments. Xen works fine for me now so I am not in a rush.

I started with xen, moved to xenserver, moved back to xen and I will start testing kvm soon.

-Adam

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Scott McClanahan <smcclanahan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah.. Xen paravirtualized mmu is fast, and in some (many) cases beats
> CPU hardware virtualized mmu.
>
> KVM has 'pvmmu' aswell, but it's not as good, so KVM is faster with CPU
> hardware virtualization. But that's a problem of KVM only, they haven't
> managed to optimize the pvmmu. And they're going to drop it altogether.
>
> KVM people tend to say 'paravirtualized mmu is slow', but they just mean
> KVM implementation of it sucks :)
>
> -- Pasi

I haven't tested or seen any benchmarks but I wonder how much the
addition of a page table for virtualized guests will help.  Not to
mention newer features like a virtualized task priority register and
ASID could continue to require less paravirt code in the guest.  I get
my two new 5500 series servers in a few weeks so I'm pretty excited to
see some of the second gen hardware virtualization assist features in
action.