Problems with qemu-kvm and etherboot-roms-kvm

CentOS-Virt,

I ran into an error attempting to offer two boot options using libvirt with kvm.  I wanted the virtual to first attempt to boot from its "disk" and if that didn't work, fall back on netboot (we kickstart install).  This argument is "-boot cn".

If the disk you provide is of type IDE this will probably work for you, unless you use "-drive" with the argument ",boot=on" as libvirt does by default.  All drive types, other than IDE, can not be booted from without the "boot=on" argument given to "-drive" which is why this is a standard config in libvirt.

If you try this you will fail with "Too many option ROMS".  The reason for this is, qemu only allows for 64kb of space for ROMs.  Most pxe boot ROMs are 64kb, including the ones in etherboot-roms-kvm (found in /usr/share/etherboot).  Because of this, qemu provides 32kb (found in /usr/share/qemu) version of the PXE boot roms.

When booting kvm virtuals with qemu-kvm it looks for etherboot roms in /usr/share/kvm/ which has symlinks pointing to /usr/share/etherboot/ and seem to be placed their by the "kvm" rpm.

That being said, I'm tempted to just change the symlinks, however qemu does not provide a PXE rom for e1000.

I have already reported this to the fedora community, and I'm told a solution has been put in place.  I have yet to see the update show up in my yum updates, but I'm confident one will be put in place as a lot of the et.redhat.com projects use kvm.

In the mean time, any ideas?

Best Regards,
Michael Schenck