Re: Installing CentOS - user feedback

On 8/17/20 7:34 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

Leaving that aside, AFAIK the main web site is not under community control. It was taken over by RedHat eons ago ( not that it was accessible for us, the members of the CentOS teams, before that anyway ) and I bet that there are most 5 people who can modify it. If memory serves I am part of the wiki translation team for 12 years or so and AFAIK none of those who can edit the wiki had ever had any sort of influence on the pages published on www.c.o. We actually had to _beg_ to have links in the main website point to the wiki ( which _was_ under our control ) so that we could publish information we thought that could/would be useful for the users.

FYI: Anyone can submit pull requests at https://git.centos.org/centos/centos.org

In an ideal world, we would have some sort of AJAX that would dynamically describe each and every iso link on the main pages of the web site. But that's a job for web designers and content publishers. I fully recommend to whoever will be tasked with this project to look at the wiki maintained by the arch community. THAT is how things should be done, from my point of view. And, with all due respect, I mean that as opposed to access.r.c and www.r.c which are awful to navigate unless you know exactly what you want.. and sometimes not even then.

wolfy

PS: I created the very very first 0_README.txt file that is now included in the isos/$ARCH folder. A file which usually is ignored for the simple reason that end users almost never reach it but whose content should be published BEFORE the users attempt to download an iso.

The full message follows:

I stumbled on your address on a Centos Faq page. I hope you can give me
some sort of answer.
I have been searching for a way to ask a question, but have not located
a forum. As I am fairly new to Linux generally, I am exploring
varieties, and Centos surfaced as an interesting option. But, again, I
have a problem no one else considers worthy of asking or answering: how
do I choose? Apparently the user in the download directory is supposed
to know what they are looking for.
When I followed the link to "download CentOs", I chose a link with
".iso" on it. This opened another page, so I picked another likely
candidate. I went four or five branches deep before I gave up. I have no
idea why I would want one branch or the other. Should I just leave
CentOs to the experts?
I really wish that on the home page there was a specification for "user
level". Do developers assume that the user is expert, and that someone
who is not qualified will get exhausted and go away? It seems very
unkind to make that assumption and not say so. If I am not the intended
user, please tell me! Otherwise, could someone please explain how to
choose which version of CentOs to use?
If you could forward this letter to someone who can take the time to
answer my question, I will be grateful.
<<