Surveillance of VPD Manual Update - 11/30/2023

NCIRD National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases

If you received this as a forwarded email, subscribe now for future alerts for this Manual.

You are subscribed to CDC's Manual for Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases. As updated chapters and appendices become available you will be notified via this email service. Use this link to view or print this information on the Surveillance Manual web page.

The Mumps Chapters in the Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (Chapter 9) and in Chapter 22: Laboratory Support for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases have been updated to include the following changes:

Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
  1. To make the testing guidance consistent with the new CSTE case definition (2023)
    1. We updated a provider testing flow chart for clinicians and public health practitioners: Mumps Job-Aid Template for Providers | CDC

  2. We updated Chapter 22: Laboratory Support for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (Section H: Mumps) and the Strategies for the Control and Investigation of Mumps Outbreaks Page to highlight that there have been limited mumps specimens sent to VPD-RCs and CDC for genotyping, and to encourage greater molecular characterization of circulating mumps virus when possible.

  3. We updated the Chapter 22: Laboratory Support for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (Section H: Mumps) to ensure clarity around specimen types and specimen shipping conditions for lab testing.
    1. Specifically, we updated documents to note that buccal swabs are the only specimen types currently accepted by CDC.
    2. Mumps lab pages including the Specimen Collection, Storage, Submission, and Shipment, and Use of Serology to Aid in the Diagnosis of Mumps Infection, were updated for consistency.

1600 Clifton Rd   Atlanta, GA 30329   1-800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636)   TTY: 888-232-6348
Questions or Problems  |