Health Equity Matters ~ Summer 2019

July 22, 2019

Welcome!

Welcome to Health Equity Matters, an electronic newsletter intended to promote awareness of minority health and health equity work at CDC and in the broader public health community, support the achievement of our goal to eliminate health disparities, improve women’s health, support diversity and inclusion in the public health workforce, and foster ongoing communication and collaboration with our partners and the public.

As the year is speedily moving along, I hope everyone who reads Health Equity Matters is practicing self-care.  We have had to say goodbye to some colleagues this year much too soon.  CDC sponsors an annual Healthiest CIO Challenge (CIO means center, institutes and offices), and our Office looks forward to the challenge every year. In addition, the 2019 theme for National Minority Health Month (April) was Active & Healthy.  We invited staff to list what they do to be active and healthy, and this is some of what was shared: take time to relax; plan meals ahead of time; schedule walking meetings; get up (frequently) and stretch; forgive. Read more from OMHHE Director, Dr. Leandris Liburd.
Dr. Leandris Liburd

News You Can Use!

Features

Health Equity Champion

Charmaine Ruddock, MS has directed the Institute for Family Health’s Bronx Health REACH initiative since 2000. As director, Ruddock oversees a multi-sectoral coalition of more than 80 community and faith-based organizations addressing racial and ethnic health disparities in the Bronx. Her key responsibilities include: 1) building and developing this community-led coalition in a place-based approach to health equity; 2) creating sustainable primary prevention initiatives; and 3) fostering community transformation through policy, system, and environmental change. Read more about Ms. Ruddock.

Image of Charmaine Ruddock, MS