Rechartering the Carrier-Grade Linux workgroup

I'm pleased to announce an extremely productive meeting of the
Carrier-Grade Linux (CGL) workgroup at the Linux Foundation
Collaboration Summit on June 15th.  I believe the following things
were decided.  If you were there and have a different recollection,
please let me and/or the group know.  If you weren't there, and would
like to adjust our direction, please also let me and/or the mailing
list know.  What we decided:

+ We have agreed that the Carrier Grade Linux workgroup remains an
important forum for enabling telecom vendors and distros to
communicate their requirements with the Linux community, particularly
kernel developers.

+ Attached is a PDF of some slides that I presented at the meeting.
Although not everyone agreed on every point, we did reach consensus
on going forward with "Option 2: Recharter CGL to focus on
requirements":
   - Create a new CGL 5.0 document that specifies requirements (what)
and justifications (why), but not implementations (how)
   - Create workgroups to write code to address specific shortcomings
not being resolved by current vendors and get that code accepted into
the kernel
   - Consider optional LSB module and certification for measurable
non-kernel requirements

+ The Linux Foundation will immediately open CGL 4.0 registration on
the same model as how 3.2 registration was done.  That is, we are
putting together a template listing every requirement from the CGL
4.0 spec.  Any distro is welcome to fill out this document (including
explanatory notes, where desired), host the document on their
website, and create a link from the Linux Foundation CGL 4.0
registration page to the document on their site.  The LF's John
Cherry will be managing this process, which is designed to be
extremely low-touch.

+ The lf_carrier mailing list archives will be made publicly
accessible in order to encourage a more diverse audience, and in
particular the active engagement of the Linux community.  The list is
now essentially unmoderated, except for some spam controls.

+ The CGL workgroup is being opened all to individuals and
organizations, whether or not they are members of the LF.  All of our
specifications and drafts will be publicly available on our wiki.
The LF's goal is to increase the quality of our specifications by
encouraging their early review.  The hope is that organizations that
get involved will see value in LF membership in order to support
these efforts.  Also, CGL registration will probably only be
available to LF members.

+ A CGL 5.0 process will be chartered.  I'll be writing the first
draft of this charter, with help from Peter Badovinatz and Glenn
Seiler.  We'll then go forward once we get "rough consensus" on this
charter from the workgroup and LF management.  This is roughly
similar to the IETF model.  This charter will describe the
publication of two documents derived from the current 4.0 spec:
   - The first document will separate out requirements already
satisfied by the mainline Linux kernel and/or enterprise
distributions.  These requirements will be recorded to avoid
regressions.
   - The second document will specify telecoms requirements not
currently satisfied by the mainline Linux kernel and/or enterprise
distributions.  This document will specify requirements (what) and
justifications (why), but not implementations (how).  However, what
and why questions will, whenever be possible, be illustrated with
patches that demonstrate the requested functionality.  This will help
avoid infeasible requirements.  The plan is that specific items from
this document will then be communicated to the kernel community
(often by being posted by Technical Advisory Board members to the
Linux Kernel Mailing List or LKML).  The goal will be to communicate
requirements and justifications to the kernel and distro communities
without attempting to require specific implementations.  This
communication will hopefully be an ongoing process, rather than one
that begins or ends with the publication of the 5.0 documents.

+ When a useful patch is identified that implements important
functionality, but is not quite mature enough to be accepted into the
mainline kernel or other upstream packages, the LF will be open to
contracting with a suitable developer (normally an existing member of
the kernel community) to enhance the patch and support its adoption
on LKML or in the appropriate upstream forum.

+ There is a desire to have close coordination with SCOPE and to
encourage SCOPE members to assist closely in the development of the
new CGL 5.0 documents.  Since SCOPE may only be able to provide
official sanction for completed specifications, this can probably be
most easily accomplished by SCOPE members participating directly in
the CGL process.

+ We need individuals and companies interested in the development of
Carrier Grade Linux to subscribe to the mailing list <https://
lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/lf_mobile> and participate.

+ We will be holding calls every other week to discuss status, and
plan to hold occasional in-person meetings, perhaps just before or
after SCOPE meetings.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.

            - dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
COO, The Linux Foundation <http://www.linux-foundation.org>