LF support for kernel patches

The link to PPA project page is http://ppacc.sf.net

This is a genuine gap, we have quite a few carriers that depend

on PPA for reliability, stability, root cause analysis, ... We have

detailed requirements that we can share.

- Mario

"LF Support" for pushing patches into the kernel may be a little
disappointing for you. Currently, Linus and Steve Hemminger are the only
"maintainers" at the LF and they don't give LF members any special
treatment in getting patches in the kernel. The best way for member
companies to push patches into the kernel is for member companies to
become part of the kernel community and to follow the written and
unwritten guidelines established by the kernel community. Jeff Garzik
has written some guidelines for what a patch should look like...

http://linux.yyz.us/patch-format.html
<http://linux.yyz.us/patch-format.html>

...but the real trick is engaging with the kernel community. At the
Collaboration Summit, the kernel developers asked for CGL requirements
that applied to the kernel and were not in any of the mainline
distributions yet. The kernel developers/maintainers are not interested
in requirements that simply state a capabilities that require a given
implementation, but requirement that describe exactly WHY the
requirement is needed. This is the "gap analysis" that we discussed and
should be part of the new CGL charter. Gap analysis applies not only to
kernel gaps, but to gaps above the kernel.

If the PPA you are referencing is the personal package archive service
(right now related to Launchpad), we should have a public discussion on
how to engage with the community on this. Right now Launchpad is not
open source, so there may be some issues here.

John