xglance-bin exploit (CVE-2014-2630)

In one of our recent penetration tests we have abused a vulnerability affecting a suid binary called “xglance-bin“. Part of HP Performance Monitoring solution, it allowed us to escalate our local unprivileged sessions on some Linux RHEL 6.x/7.x/8.x systems to root. To be very honest, it was not the first time we leveraged that specific vulnerability as we abused it frequently on many HP servers with RHEL installed since 2014.

There has been indeed a CVE registered for the flaw ([CVE-2014-2630](https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2014-2630)) originally discovered by Tim Brown from Portcullis. However the CVE description for it was a bit criptic (aka completely useless) -> “Unspecified vulnerability in HP Operations Agent 11.00, when Glance is used, allows local users to gain privileges via unknown vectors“.

Unspecified vulnerability? Unknown vector? Well… not that much. As there is no trace in the internet of a public exploit, we have decided to release it.

Full story here: https://redtimmysec.wordpress.com/2020/02/04/perf-exploiter/
Exploit here: https://github.com/redtimmy/perf-exploiter