[Newsletter/Marketing] [ISN] Ransomware: The key lesson Maersk learned from battling the NotPetya attack

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ransomware-the-key-lesson-maersk-learned-from-battling-the-notpetya-attack/

By Danny Palmer
ZDNet News
April 29, 2019

The extent of the cyberattack was so bad that it just didn't seem possible that something so destructive could have happened so quickly.

"I remember that morning – laptops were sporadically restarting and it didn't appear to be a cyberattack at the time but very quickly the true impact became apparent," said Lewis Woodcock, head of cybersecurity compliance at Moller-Maersk, the world's largest container shipping firm.

"The severity for me was really taken in when walking through the offices and seeing banks and banks of screens, all black. There was a moment of disbelief, initially, at the sheer ferocity and the speed and scale of the attack and the impact it had."

Speaking in a keynote session at CYBER UK 19 – a cybersecurity conference hosted by the UK's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) – Woodcock was reliving the events of 27 June 2017 when the shipping and logistics giant Maersk was an unintended victim of NotPetya ransomware.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/