Re: Adgregate ShopAd widget validation is vulnerable to replay attack

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Matthew Dempsky <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As an update, since I submitted my first message, Adgregate changed
> their validation mechanism.  The current method is still
> intermittently vulnerable to replay attacks, but now there's actually
> an expiration mechanism to deal with.

I've updated http://shinobi.dempsky.org/~matthew/adgregate.html to
handle the new validation mechanism.

It's basically the same as before, except every 5 minutes (aligned
with the hour) the (single, global) validation string changes.  You
can easily retrieve the current one using curl:

$ curl -e https://secure.adgregate.com/vid_m_widget.swf \
>     https://secure.adgregate.com/validatewidget.aspx?wid=1
&validation=3F228F6F-6B30-4BB4-A7D0-EF5D7F4ABD54

I'll continue updating the above URL as they (hopefully) further
revise the scheme, but I'm going to refrain from spamming BugTraq
about it.