Re: Cryptome: NSA has real-time access to Hushmail servers

"Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff@xxxxxxxxx> top-posted:

> Wasn't there an article or a post somewhere about an ISP that
> maintained a canary web page with the statement "we haven't been
> served with an NSL" and (I think) a date that was meant to be taken
> down or perhaps merely not updated in such an event?

In the days of Carnivore, Alexis would often be asked "Has Carnivore
been installed on Panix's network?"  He'd answer "no".

> Cute idea, though I suppose they would also be subject to sanctions
> for not maintaining it.

Taking down a page might be construed as communication; failing to
answer a question isn't (else it's compelled speech, and a compelled
lie at that.)

Seth