Re: [Full-disclosure] Next generation malware: Windows Vista's gadget API

On Monday 17 September 2007 13:26:36 Roger A. Grimes wrote:

> I'm sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see the new attack
> vector here. I, the attacker, have to make you download my malicious
> trojan program, which you install on your computer.

Irrespective of the rest of what Roger says (which I agree with FTR), this bit
is simply wrong.  Look at the PoC that has been made public:

https://strikecenter.bpointsys.com/articles/2007/08/26/vista-gadget-patches-in-ms07-048

It's not (just) about downloading malware gadgets.  It's about exploiting
vulnerabilities *in* gadgets (the default gadgets in Vista, in the case of
the PoC).  Essentially anywhere a gadget calls for example eval() on
untrusted data you *may* have a a problem.

Tim
--
Tim Brown
<mailto:tmb@xxxxxxxxx>