Re: [Bogus] Lazarus Guestbook (admin.php)Remote File Include Expliot

Tom Walsh said:

>So... either it is patched in the version I am looking at (unlikely)
>or this is a bogus report (like god knows how many others).

In this case, it looks legitimate for OLDER versions.  See informal
analysis below.

The cause was dynamic variable evaluation, which is one of the
features that make post-disclosure analysis really messy for PHP.

Also, the vendor apparently posted the fix for the version that Tom
looked at:

  http://carbonize.co.uk/Lazarus/Forum/index.php?topic=1164.0

The vendor calls it "XSS" which is a typical confusion with RFI, but
review of the code change shows it's relevant to RFI.

There's still dynamic variable evaluation for every GPC parameter
without whitelisting of variable names, so who knows if other
vulnerabilities are present.

- Steve