Research for network security news article

I'm looking for information and sources for a story I'm writing for InformationWeek magazine about the state of network security and Cisco's role in it. Are network attacks on the rise? More specifically, are attacks on Cisco networking equipment on the rise? How well is the company addressing security in its products and what does this mean for the security of your network?