Re: LinkSys WRT54G administration page availble to WAN

On 11:51:41 am 05/31/04 "Alan W. Rateliff, II" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Manufacturer: LinkSys (a division of Cisco)
> Product: Wireless-G Broadband Router
> Model: WRT54G
> Product Page:
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601
> Firmware tested: v2.02.7
>
> In a recent client installation I discovered that even if the remote
> administration function is turned off, the WRT54G provides the
> administration web page to ports 80 and 443 on the WAN.  The
> implications are obvious: out of the box the unit gives full access
> to its administration from the WAN using the default or, if the user
> even bothered to change it, an easily guessed password.

Testing this issue with a recently purchased WRT54G here showed that while
I can access the web interface on the WAN IP from the LAN behind the
linksys, I can not access it from another location on the WAN side.

\__ Jason Munro
 \__ jason@xxxxxxxxxx
  \__ http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/